May Chang - Wild Crafted (China)
- Plant Family: Lauraceae
- Method of Extraction: The oil is distilled from fruits
- Therapeutic Properties: Calming Antiseptic and anti-bacterial
- Fragrance Profile: A bright citrus aroma middle to base note.
- Appearance: Pale yellow
- Contraindications: Due to the high aldehyde content is a strong skin irritant. Do not use topically. Keep away from children. Do not use during pregnancy.
- Chakra: Resonates with the solar plexus
- Element: Water and wood
Oil of May Chang is a comparatively new essential oil to the West. It is steam-distilled from the pepper-shaped fruits (Cubeba) of this tropical tree.
The strong lemon odour of the main constituent (Citral - 75%) dominates and hence the oil resembles Lemongrass, although it has a rounder and more fruity aroma. While the synonym Litsea Citrata is often given for May Chang, Litsea Citrata is a related species with a lower Citral content.